Konongwootong Reservoir, located 10 minutes north of Coleraine, is recognised for its indigenous heritage and is a popular site for fishing, walking, bird watching and passive recreation.
Built in 1926 to supply water to the townships of Casterton and Coleraine, the Reservoir has a capacity of 1920 mega litres, being supplied by three-spring fed streams which run across grazing land. The Reservoir’s two entrances have boat ramps, picnic areas, parking and fishing access, with the Reservoir Road entry featuring an all-abilities walking path and access for fishing. The Reservoir is suitable for electric power boats, canoes and kayaks however boats with combustion engines, water-skiing, motorcycling and camping are not permitted.
Konongwootong has significant Aboriginal cultural heritage values and is currently registered on the Victorian Aboriginal Register. For thousands of years, through to the late 1830s, the site was a natural wetland with pools of water in winter, and springs and water soaks in summer providing food, water, fibres, medicine and shelter for the Konongwootong Gunditj people. The memorial ‘A Quiet Place’ was established at the reservoir in 2014 to recognise the traditional history of the area. Designed to encourage informed and respectful contemplation by visitors the landscaped area features a walking path, interpretive signage and stone benches at the top of a natural amphitheatre with views of the wetlands area.