The water, which cascades over a 30-metre vertical precipice into a deep plunge pool below, is actually flowing over hardened basalt lava. Further downstream, rapids wind their way around large blocks of basalt, dislodged over time down the embankments of the
The history surrounding the Wannon and Nigretta Falls dates back to the 1850’s when the small town of Redruth, renamed Wannon in 1908, was first settled. Planned around the Wannon Inn and a ferry for crossing the river, the community consisted of two schools, two hotels, a store and four sawmills located nearby.
Over time, the Falls became a popular tourist attraction, attracting many visitors in the 1890s when excursion trains travelled from Hamilton.
The turn off to Wannon Falls is 19kms west of Hamilton, just off the Glenelg Highway. Wannon Falls and the nearby Nigretta Falls are linked by a scenic road.
Both waterfalls are at their biggest and best after rainfall.