The history surrounding the Wannon and Nigretta Falls dates back to the 1850’s when the small town of Redruth, renamed Wannon in 1908, was first settled. Planned around the Wannon Inn and a ferry for crossing the river, the community consisted of two schools, two hotels, a store and four sawmills located nearby.
Over time, the Falls became a popular tourist attraction, attracting many visitors in the 1890s when excursion trains travelled from Hamilton.
Take a short detour from the Glenelg Highway for fishing, picnics and barbecues at Nigretta Falls, a small waterfall fed by the Wannon River.
View the falls from above and enjoy the picnic tables and barbecue facilities or take the stairway leading to the base, where water pools provide excellent secluded fishing spots.
See the falls in full flow after heavy rains.